A quick and delicious way to make the all time favourite Aloo mutter. The potato and peas are cooked together with a few spices to impart a subtle and distinctive flavour.
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
serves : 4
1 1/2 cups potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced
1 cup green peas, boiled
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
3/4 cup of onions, chopped
1 tsp green chilli paste1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp of garlic paste
1 cup of tomatoes, chopped
a pinch of tumeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
1/2 tsp of garam masala
2 tbsp of oil
salt to taste
For the garnish:
1 tbsp of chopped corainder or spring onions
1. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. When they crackle, add the onions and saute till they are translucent.
2. Add the ginger paste, green chilli paste, garlic paste and tomatoes and simmer till the tomatoes are cooked.
3. Add the tumeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, green peas and potatoes and cook them for some time.
4. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and salt and allow it to come ot a boil.
5. Mash 2 or 3 pieces of potatoes in the pan to thicken the gravy. Simmer till the gravy thickens. 6. Garnish with the corainder or spring onion and serve hot with the rotis or parathas.