When Vanamala tagged me to write a meme about myself, I was all up for it. I don’t know whether I have so many things to talk about me. But here it goes:
- I am Marwari Jain, originally from Rajasthan but born and brought up in Chennai. I love my childhood days. I grew up in big family and lived with my grandparents, parents, 1 uncle, 5 aunts, 2 sisters, 1 brother and 2 cousins all under one roof. It was jus t like a Hindi TV Soap, but way more fun!
- I have wonderful memories of my childhood – enjoying festivals and summer vacations, playing with or just talking to my cousins till late in the night, going on vacations and of course, cooking and eating. I still, to this very day, miss my cousin - she was my best friend. We do keep in touch even after being far away from each other.
- In all the important occasions in our house, food was the main thing and there was always an extra emphasis on it. My grandmother and mother are great cooks. They used to cook so many dishes and even now they do it with the same zeal and enthusiasm. I love their hand made Marwari dishes - dal batti, churma, lapsi, magadh... The list just goes on and on.
- When I got married I didn’t know how to cook at all. Immediately, thereafter, I came to the United States along with my In-Laws, who had come for a vacation here. It was very fortunate because, it helped me to learn from my mother-in-law (mummyji) so many intricacies about cooking that I was oblivious to. She is a great cook.
- I finished my studies and came to U.S. While in the United States. I heard about Montessori from one of my friends and it sounded like a perfect thing to do. I love kids! So I joined Montessori course where I learnt about how to teach kids for 3 to 6 years old. I did the certification course for 1 yr and worked for 2 yrs.
- Me and my husband love to travel, watch movies, go for hiking, camping etc. We both have many things in common.
- I just started to blog last month. My husband thought I should share my recipe with everyone else. I started this as a time pass, but now I am so hooked on it. Apart from blogging I love to cook and do some art and craft work. I have done crochet, knitting, making flowers, candles etc.