This channa salad is my favourite. It is very easy to make and tastes really nice. The salad is not only a starter but also a side dish in itself. Infact, Salads - if dished up interestingly, can be a meal by themselves. And with a few smart combinations of the vegetables you like and the dressings, you can make this salad attractive. Here is my way:
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: No cooking time
2 teacups kala channa (black chickpeas) ( http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html )
1/4 cup cucumber, finely chopped
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 green mango, finely chopped
4 green chilli, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp jeera powder
1 tbsp chopped corainder leaves
1. Soak the channa in plenty of water for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Wash and pressurecook in good amount of water, since the channa will first bloat a third it size on soaking, then double that on pressurecooking. So it is imperative that soaking is done, and not direct pressurecooking for best results.
3. Pressurecook for at least 5-6 whistles, to be done. If channa has for some reason not been soaked in advance, then add a pinch of soda bicarb to the water, while pressurecooking, to aid cooking from within.
4. When done remove the water and cool the channa.
5. In a bowl combine all ingredients with channa. Mix well.
6. Ready to eat.