Thursday, August 9, 2007

Black Chickpeas Salad


This channa salad is my favourite. It is very easy to make and tastes really nice. The salad is not only a starter but also a side dish in itself. Infact, Salads - if dished up interestingly, can be a meal by themselves. And with a few smart combinations of the vegetables you like and the dressings, you can make this salad attractive. Here is my way:

Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: No cooking time

Ingredients:
2 teacups kala channa (black chickpeas) ( http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html )
1/4 cup cucumber, finely chopped
1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 green mango, finely chopped
4 green chilli, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp jeera powder
1 tbsp chopped corainder leaves

Method:
1. Soak the channa in plenty of water for 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.



2. Wash and pressurecook in good amount of water, since the channa will first bloat a third it size on soaking, then double that on pressurecooking. So it is imperative that soaking is done, and not direct pressurecooking for best results.
3. Pressurecook for at least 5-6 whistles, to be done. If channa has for some reason not been soaked in advance, then add a pinch of soda bicarb to the water, while pressurecooking, to aid cooking from within.
4. When done remove the water and cool the channa.
5. In a bowl combine all ingredients with channa. Mix well.


6. Ready to eat.





7 comments:

Roopa said...

looks like a yummy salad! though my h is not a lover of channa a add very little to my dishes!

Poonam said...

Hi Athika, Your salad looks very yummy!

Padma said...

Salad looks yummy, we make chaat too, out of black chana!

Sharmi said...

In my college hostel we used to get chana like this with mangoes. it used to be a great snack. your chaat reminded me of it. looks so good.

J said...

A coincidence, I made it as well :)

Archana Doshi said...

What better than having this lovely salad for a meal and a perfect recipe for the event I am hosting - I would love for you to send this recipe for my event - ONE DISH MEALS. Check my site or the link below for more details.
http://www.archanaskitchen.com/2008/uncategorized/monthly-one-dish-event-meals/

Anonymous said...

Hi Athika, Ur looks yummy! Reminded me of my college days. Really tasty love to get my mouth on one of those.